What is Prevent?
Part 1 of the 4 part CONTEST strategy
- Pursue – to stop terrorist attacks
- Prevent – to stop people becoming terrorists or supporting them
- Protect – to strengthen our protection against a terrorist attack
- Prepare – to mitigate the impact of a terrorist attack
Counter-Terrorism and Security Act 2015
- The Prevent Duty
- Due regard to the need to prevent people from being drawn into terrorism
- Section 26 – the Duty placed on certain bodies.
- Local Authorities
- Further Education
- Higher Education
- The Health Sector
- Prisons and Probation
The Prevent strategy specifically;
- responds to the ideological challenge of terrorism and the threat we face from those who promote it;
- prevents people from being drawn into terrorism and ensure that they are given appropriate advice and support; and
- works with sectors and institutions where there are risks of radicalisation which we need to address.